Zhongshan Park and Zhongshan Concert Hall

0
12
Zhongshan Park
Zhongshan Park
Zhongshan Park

Zhongshan Park also named Dr Sun yat-sen Park.The park was formerly the Altar of Land and Grain built in1420. It was opened as a park in 1914 and its name was changed to Zhongshan (Zhongshan is Sun yat-sen’s alternate name) Park in 1928 in memory of Dr Sun yat-sen (Yat-sen mean Spirit of Tranquillity), a great pioneer of the chinese democratic revolution.

Dr Sun yat-sen
Dr Sun yat-sen

Since 1949, the park has taken on a new look after extensive renovations. Cypress, flowers, goldfish, rockeries, ponds and pavilions present a serene and attractive atmosphere. Many large celebrations and meetings for peace and friendship are held there. The bronze statue of Dr Sun yat-sen, three metres high stands on a two-metre-high foundation in Zhongshan Park.

It depicts Dr Sun in old age. With the support of the Central Committee of the Chinese Communist Party, the project was proposed by a group of 54 members of the Beijing Committee of the Chinese people’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC). Zeng Zhushao, professor at the Central Academy of Fine Arts, designed the statue and he is also a member of the CPPCC Beijing Committee.

The project was completed by November 12, 1986, the 120th birthday anniversary of the great forerunner of the Chinese democratic revolution.

Zhongshan Concert Hall

The renovation of the Zhongshan Concert Hall started in July 1997 and was completed in April 1999 lasting one year and five months and opened to the public on April 26, 1999. The concert hall is gifted with first-class construction norms according to world standards for professional concert halls. It is located in Zhongshan Park (Dr Sun yat-sen Park, north of Tian’anmen Square, one of Beijing’s former imperial gardens and one of the most beautiful parks in the city). It is the first Chinese concert hall to adopt a digital audio-frequency processor. The ups and downs of the concert hall symbolize the development of Beijing’s culture. When the people’s Republic of China took over the concert hall on January 31, 1949, it was nothing more than an outdoor stage encircled by wires. Later the municipal government built a theatre there. It attracted many famous Chinese musicians and artists. By 1996, it was only used for showing films. The renovation cost more than 80 million yuan(US$9.6 million).

The renovated Zhongshan Concert Hall covers an area of 4, 000 square metres, with a total floor space of 11, 835 square metres. it’s outer appearance looks like a giant fan-shape with a seating capacity of 1, 400. Also there are 5 VIP boxes in the hall.